Friday, June 29, 2012

Installation Art Project

What is Installation Art? 
              - According to the text, it's a form of art that the entire room, or a space, is treated as the entire work of art which is to be entered and experienced. It's usually in a specific location and usually for a short period of time. 

What Materials are used?
              - Literally just about anything and everything that the artist wishes to use.
 
Why Make it? 
              - It's an experience. It is a new way for art to become connected with the public, and vice versa. Honestly the same question could be asked about any form of art.. why make it? Because it fulfills some subconscious and conscious need in people to express themselves, ask questions, seek answers, find acceptance, and to be apart of something that's bigger than themselves, even if it's just for a few minutes. 
 
Which did I find interesting?
               - In the book it mentioned the "gates" installation piece that was designed by Christo and Jeanne- Claude. It was 7,503 orange sheets on frames that were spread all through out Central Park in NYC. By default I have to say that I find it interesting because I was actually there on one of the 16 days it was to be set up. I remember thinking that it was a lot of hype over what seemed really simple, but I see now that I was apart of history, and helping support years to come of artistic achievements. 

For the project I honestly was at such a loss as to what to do, how to do it, and what exactly I was supposed to do. I ended up choosing the topic of self, and my materials used were literally just the everyday things that I use such as my laptop, ipod, lab book, art text book, calculator, a cool drink, my drink this not that book (because I'm very into health and nutrition), and sunglasses. My location is outside in my backyard on one of the lounge chairs and the table next to it. I sit in that spot almost everyday with these items littered around me. I figured that that was a good idea for an installation... "A day in the Life". (I know it's not very original of a name) My day every day is generally, school work, school, work, and more school work. (i'm taking two summer classes, and one is at the local community college that I have to drive 30-40 mins to each day..in retrospect I should have put my car keys in this too.)

SO... here is my piece.
Name: A Day in the Life
Location: My backyard in East Northport, NY 11731





 

No comments:

Post a Comment