Saturday, August 11, 2012

Course Reflection

Looking back at my first post on this blog as well as in the discussion forums, it makes me think of all the work that was accomplished since then. I didn't know what to expect when I signed up for the course, so I can't say I was disappointed by anything. It was a lot more work than I had been anticipating to say the least. Not that any of it was terribly difficult, just that it was a very time consuming class, which made it a little tedious for me for the first 3/4 because I was taking a chemistry class at a community college at the same time, as well as working as a waitress in the evenings.

I think that my appreciation for art has grown infinitely. I'm still skeptical about some things that seem like a child could have created it and it's considered to be some artistic masterpiece worth hundreds of dollars.. but I suppose some things will never change. I really did enjoy the chances to go to different galleries and see what I had been reading about in person. I usually dragged my mom with me on these ventures and she enjoyed the visits as well. My definition of art is probably still the same. I don't think you can pin down something so subjective as art in one simple definition.  But for the sake of answering this question... I'd say it is something that expresses the thoughts, feelings, imaginations, dreams, skills, and creativity of the artist in a unique way that may or may not be aesthetically pleasing to everyone in the public. 

I didn't have a favorite artist when I started this class. Now, I have new appreciation for several. ( I should have put Van Gogh and Pollock in the original post because I did actually like them more than most at the time)    
          > Vincent Van Gogh
          > Jackson Pollock
          > Edvard Munch
          > Gary Simmons 
          > Sayaka Ganz 
          > Marcia Baldwin 

After completing an entirely online based course I can say that while it was challenging at times, I liked it, and I feel that I learned a lot because I had to teach myself. I figured out how to use the programs relatively easily and was able to complete everything even when I wasn't sure I would. Overall, I had a positive experience with taking AED 200 during the summer term.

No comments:

Post a Comment